Friday 12 October 2012

Arrow Pilot Thoughts



So I have finally got around to watching the Arrow pilot from Wednesday night! I am actually very impressed with what I saw. I have only read green arrow volume 1 from the new 52, so my knowledge on the character is pretty limited. Therefore, I did not think I would enjoy it. Oh how wrong I was...

I don't really want to give any spoilers away in this article, so I am just going to briefly run through what I thought was done really well in the pilot episode. My favourite scenes have to be Oliver escaping his kidnappers,  training in an abandoned warehouse , and the big fight scene at the end against Hunts' henchmen. As you can see, I thought the action scenes were done very very well, with some really nice set pieces thrown in them. I also liked his attitude during these fights. Instead of being worried about hurting people ( Smallville ) he really wasn't worried about dishing out some pain.

This brings me on to Oliver himself. The trailers for the series didn't really fill me with excitement about the character to be honest. However, after watching the pilot it is clear to see just how perfect a fit Stephen Amell is for Oliver Queen. The writing obviously also helps in making this a green arrow that I think the majority of comic book fans will really enjoy watching. He comes across as a bad ass with a heart, how can you not like that?!?

I am also really looking forward to seeing exactly what happened when he was stranded on the island for five years. They are giving hints that there is a story to be told about that, so I am very intrigued. The reveal about the detectives tie to a certain character was also a great moment, as well as the shock reveal at the end ( traitor in the family ).

It is still early days in this show, so it is impossible to tell whether it will continue to be as good as this first episode. However, it has got off to a great start, and I am sure there are many people like myself who are very excited for next weeks episode.

No comments:

Post a Comment