Monday 15 October 2012

Uncanny Avengers #1



So Marvel Now! is here. Well kind of. Most of the new books are not starting until next month. So yeah, its here but not here. I was quite excited for this series, but that was more due to intrigue. Going into this issue I wasn't too sure whether I was going to pick this series up regularly or not. Did this issue convince me one way or the other? Not really unfortunately.

Firstly, the team of the Uncanny Avengers consists of characters that I am not exactly massive fans of. Yeah sure, I love Cap, Thor and of course Wolverine. However, I am not really major fans of the Scarlet Witch or Havok. Saying that, I do think it is great t that Marvel are pushing forward some of their characters forward that are not as well known as others. Seeing the same characters team after team can get pretty boring, so thumbs up to them for trying something new.

Even though lesser known characters are being pushed in this series, Wolverine still had the best moment in the issue. He performed a perfect eulogy at Xavier's funeral, which was actually a very touching moment. Even though you could see it coming it still has the desired effect on you when reading it. Havok seeing his brother in SHIELD base was also pretty intense, and did a great job at making Cyclops come across as a real asshole. I know this is what they have been trying to do in other series during and after AvX, and in my opinion have failed miserably seeing as he is still one of my favourite characters. However, in this book his ideology really does seem flawed. He seems so full of his own importance and is therefore very very un likeable. As hard as that is for me to say. But as I stated, it is something that really need be done well, and they certainly succeeded.

A major turn off in this book for me were the villians used. Avalanche was just fine. His appearance was pretty good, which saw a solid little battle between him and some of the team in the middle of the book. It is the bad guy team that interrupted Scarlet Witch and Rogue that totally sucked. I assume they are new villians, but oh wow did they suck. They just looked terrible. They may be working for one of the most famous villians in the Marvel universe ( at least I think they are working for him ) at the end of the book but I hope that they do not play a big part in this opening arc. Red Skull was awesome to see at the end ( as seen in last sentence ) and his plan of action is pretty interesting and unique. It could be a devlopment to keep your eyes on.

Yeah so I am not totally convinced on this book just yet. Some pretty cool bits which got my attention, but overall it didn't make me desperate for the next issue. Saying that, I will probably purchase it to see more of Red Skull, Havok, Wolverine, and Cyclops. We will see. If I do I may only give it one more issue to really grab me. I really hope Marvel Now! as a whole is better than this.

Rating 6/10






No comments:

Post a Comment