Tuesday 16 October 2012

The Walking Dead Season 3 Premiere Review




So I am sat here watching The Walking Dead season three premiere for the second time, and let me tell you it is just as awesome as the first time. So much happens in this episode that it is really recommended to sit through it for a second time, if only for the action scenes. This episode focused a lot less on story than usual for a standard episode of this show, and instead was pretty much non stop action from start to finish.

The show picks up about 6-7 months after the end of season two. This means that we have completely skipped past the harsh winter months and are now in to what seems like spring. A lot has happened to the characters since we last left them. Lori is heavily pregnant, while Rick throughout the episode comes across as being very very cold with her. In fact at one point Lori confides in Herschel that she believes that her own husband hates her. He seems to have solidified his position as the leader of the group. This is shown as he comes up with every plan throughout the episode. Carl has also developed a lot since we last saw him. For one, he isn't afraid to shoot walkers any more that's for sure. What is also interesting with him is that even though they are in a world that is not normal in the slightest, he seems to be growing into a typical teenage boy. The writers are teasing a future relationship between him and Beth ( Herschel's daughter ) which looks as though it will be very fun to watch. Speaking of relationships, Glenn and Maggie have continued their relationship, and it looks like Daryl and Carol have even started up some kind of thing which was kind of expected. Moving on to Herschel, wow. What happened to him at the end of this episode just has to be seen.

Now, on to their current environment, the prison. Within the first 10 minutes of the episode they locate the prison. I am very happy about this as I thought they may wait until a couple of episodes in before getting there. The way they cleared the walkers from the prison was very entertaining and made up most of the episode, hence the mention of it being action packed. Everybody mucks in to clearing their path, which shows that a lot of training has probably taken place during the winter.

Michonne and Andrea seem to be somewhere else entirely, and I don't believe it was made clear where they are in relation to the rest of the group. I assume at some point they will probably find the prison, but I am hoping that happens sooner rather than later. Michonnes's interactions with certain members of the group are something that I am very much looking forward too.

I have mentioned the fact that we have skipped the winter a couple of times now. There was never really any mention of what happened during those months. Even though I don't want the series to dwell on the events of the winter, I would like some sort of insight of what they had to go through to survive during that time.

I really enjoyed this episode and I really cant wait for the next one to air. I am very impressed with the amount of stuff they fit in to it considering it was the length of a standard episode and not the 60 minutes that I was expecting for some reason. It gained some very high ratings when it aired, and I expect that to continue for the rest of the season if the episodes consistently keep up this quality. However, I hope they do not stray too far from what made the series successful in the first place, which is of course story. It was awesome to see so much action, but the TWD is nothing without its great character interaction. I am not too worried about that as I think AMC know exactly what they are doing with this show. Here's to next week!



Feel free to comment and share your thoughts on this episode. All feedback is greatly appreciated.





Image courtesy to appaddict.net. I do not own it.




No comments:

Post a Comment