Friday 19 October 2012

Supergirl #13 Review


You may have noticed that this issue was not one that I originally intended to review. Well, I received a request to do a review for it, so now I am. Luckily, I thought the issue as a whole was great ( and 100 times better than Catwoman, which is what I was originally going to review ).

The issue takes place in what is Kara's new fortress of solitude type place called "Sanctuary". Tycho was waiting for her arrival there, as seen in the last issue. After he explains what Sanctuary is, and shows her what was on the crystal shards sent from Krypton on her pod, a battle between the two commences. Kara comes out on top, and the issue ends with her viewing Superman fighting a villain from Krypton. This nicely leads on to the upcoming H'el on Earth crossover event between the the Superman family books.

This series has had some pretty negative reviews throughout, which is a shame seeing as I have really enjoyed it and have stuck by it. The pacing of this series is fantastic, and the character development has been superb. Some say the development of Kara has been too slow, but I believe it has been done at a perfect pace. This issue saw a side of Kara that we have not seen before; a totally unforgiving side of her. The way she left Tycho trapped in the Sanctuary, showing no remorse whatsoever was a great character moment for her, and could be something that defines her in future issues.

Tycho was never really a great or dangerous villain in this series, but I liked the way he was used in this issue. He was there to pretty much explain everything that had gone on in previous issues, as well as the events of the #0 issue last month. What was great about this was that it never felt forced, and it never felt like it thought the reader was stupid. It had a great flow to it, and I believe it was ultimately needed as I for one was a bit hazy on previous events due to last months break.

Overall, Supergirl #13 was another solid issue in a series that does not get all the credit that it deserves. This issue, accompanied with the #0 issue, would be a great little jumping on point for this series. So if you are not on board, I suggest you get on board quickly. The end, as pointed out earlier, acted as a nice little lead up to the upcoming crossover, which I am eagerly anticipating. I may even be anticipating it more so after reading this issue. 


Rating: 7.5 / 10

1 comment:

  1. Toatally adree with you this series deserves much more credit altought I felt first issues too decompresed with not much hapening the amount of character development in the whole series compensates, and I can really feel the loneliness Supergirl feels that shows how good the writers are at this book.

    ReplyDelete