Friday 9 November 2012

Animal Man #14 Review


Animal Man has been one of the surprise hits of the New 52. Jeff Lemire has been hitting it out of the park most months, however I feel like the last 2 or 3 issues have not been up to the standards that we have got used too. This "Rotworld" story arc is something that I was a bit unsure about. Saying that, this issue has gone some way into persuading me that Animal Man is starting to get back on track.

I think the best part of this issue, as well as this arc so far, are the flashbacks to Buddy's family before Rotworld began. The start of this issue was something that I wasn't expecting, half due to the fact that I forgot what happened at the end of last issue. However, seeing Buddy's family pretty much destroyed within the first couple of pages was shocking to say the least.
Maxine is now the last one standing. "Little Wing" was someone who I wasn't really too bothered about throughout the series until this issue. I am starting to see some great possibilities for some fantastic character development. I always forget that she is only four years old, and it is now clear that she will be facing some really difficult decisions in the next couple of issues. It is starting to look as though this part of the story is worth the price of admission alone.

Lets not forget what is happening in the other half of the book, Buddy Baker in Rotworld itself. In this issue we saw Buddy and the rest of the gang fighting some of Arcane's men which were sent for them; it was a nice little batlle. However, what we learned at the end of the battle is what was the most interesting; Maxine is being held captive by Arcane, and that Buddy must go after Arcane in order to save her.
I felt that this twist along with the surrounding area that Buddy finds himself in; gave this story arc a bit if a Stephen King feel to it. It is pretty hard to explain unless you are a fan of Kings' work, but it just feels very familiar; which is a really good thing by the way. I think some of this may be down to the art of Steve Pugh, along with the colours of Lovern Kindzierski. These two combine to give the book a very unique feel to it, as well as making it feel like a comic book for some sort of Stephen King novel.

All in all I feel like I am once again invested in the story of Buddy Baker; and I wish him all the best in it. I hope Lemire prolongs the travelling aspect of the book so we get to see more of the environment. However, I am now confident that whatever path is chosen, it will most probably be the correct one.


Rating: 8/10






No comments:

Post a Comment