Saturday 10 November 2012

Green Lantern #14 Review



I am going to go on record saying this as I really believe it to be true: "Green Lantern is one of the most consistent books out there today". There I said it.

I cant comment on the other Lantern books, but in this series I think Rise of the Third Army has been awesome thus far. The pace is perfect. Every issue you can feel something building, getting closer and closer to breaking point. It feels great.
What is really great about this comic is once again Baz is leading the way, and successfully pulling it off too. His confrontation with the Justice League showed just how normal and likeable he really is. His conversation with his sister also went a long way in doing that too. He is still getting used to the ring, but it is cool to see how he is progressing along with that. As Flash points out; he is learning fast. This is shown by the way he eventually got away from the Justice League. Inventive and very smart indeed.
Speaking of the Flash, his line about Guy Gardner made me laugh out loud. I love the Justice League version of him, but that is a story for another book.
I also really enjoyed the conversation between the Guardians and the First Lantern. The fact that even he believes that what they are doing is wrong just goes to show how deluded the Guardians are. It also highlighted that we should not forget about the First Lantern just yet. I have a feeling he has more of a part to play in this than first thought.
 The Black Hand' brief appearance was also awesome, acting as a way to give a quick recap on current events for readers who may have missed an issue or two.

I have mentioned this before but I will mention it again; the pencils and colours in this book are exceptional. I would go as far as saying that the art in this book is my favourite out of all the current DC titles. I think that is really saying something. There was no two page spread in this particular issue, but when one is included it is always mind blowing.

We may have only had one panel showing the Third Army in this entire issue, but the danger they pose flows throughout the book very nicely. I am looking forward to see Baz continue on his personal mission in the next issue, as well as what lies ahead for Hal and Sinestro due to what was teased on the very last page. Of course we cant forget the Rise of the Third Army. Yeah, I am pretty much hyped for everything about the next issue. It can not come quickly enough.

Rating: 9 / 10


Note: It is funny writing reviews for comics. I read this comic and thought " yeah I will give this a 8, maybe an 8.5". However, when I collected my thoughts on this issue and put them down on the computer screen in front of me, it became clear to me just how much fun I had with this book. This is what saw the score rise. I have found this with a few books that I have reviewed. It is not a bad thing at all, in fact I think it is great. I am getting a sense of how much I am enjoying reading some of these books when I have to really think about what I have just read.
So thanks guys for checking this blog out. You are making me realise why I love comics so much.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment