Sunday 4 November 2012

Bedlam #1 Review



The feeling I got from reading this book was the same I got after first reading Saga #1. That is how good this book is,and how high my expectations are for future issues. If you are a horror fan of any kind then this is definitely for you.

The books starts off as we see some of the actions of a character called Madder Red. He is pretty much the joker. However, he may be even more twisted than Gotham City's biggest villain. The story then shifts to present day as we see Fillmore Press, a man who seems like he probably used to be Madder Red, going through everyday life. The way the book shifts back and to is absolutely superb.
The dialogue from both Red and Fillmore Press is gripping stuff. I found myself totally immersed in what they were saying. I am not saying what they had to say was sane in any way, because trust me, it wasn't. What it was was though was intriguing, and it led to some scenes that were just downright creepy.

Now lets talk about the art. If the art was any different to what it is, then this book would not work nearly half as well as it does. Riley Rossmo knocks it out of the park. It has a kind of scratchy effect, which when I first saw the preview I actually was not too sure whether I liked it. However, after reading the first couple of pages you soon realise that Rossmo is the perfect artist for this job.

It may be too soon to say that this series is going to be a massive hit. However, the main characters in this book are written so well, it is difficult to see how this book can fail. Also bear in mind that this is written by none other than Nick Spencer (Morning Glories), and we are pretty much onto a winner with this title. 


Rating 10/10

This is my first ever 10/10 rating on this blog. That shows just how much I loved this book. Pick it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment