Sunday 25 November 2012

Supergirl #14 Review



This is probably the most under the radar book in the DC universe. I do not believe that it has a massive readership at all compared to the Superman books for example, however this book rules each and every month.
This month we have a H'el on Earth tie in, which for once in comics actually felt like a tie in issue should do. It filled in gaps for readers who have not read any of the other tie ins, and we got a really good explanation of who H'el really is. For someone who wasn't went into this issue not too keen on this crossover event, I have come out on the other waiting desperate to read more issues. It does everything that it needed to do.

The main thing in this issue was the confrontation between H'el and Kara. He was trying to convince her to help him save Krypton, seeing as it is her home planet as well as his. Kara was at first unsure whether to trust him, yet she got persuaded that he was on her side. I do not know much about this H'el character but I believe that he is going to be bad guy (surely?). What I really like about this confrontation was how naive Kara still is. She is desperate to see Kryptonian people once again, and her longing for this is making her believe what she feels she has to believe. She was on the verge of ordering H'el to kill Superboy, and she actually believes that at some point it needs to be done.
Kara is not evil at all, she is just very misinformed. She is a teenager lost on what is an alien planet to her, not too sure what is going on. She is still vulnerable 14 issues in to this series, and it is very easy for the reader to feel sorry for her.

I also really enjoyed seeing her new home under the see once again; Sanctuary. It is her Fortress of Solitude, and I really really like it. However, I am not too sure how she is overcome the problem of the large distance that it is from the Sun. Whenever she spends large amounts of time there, she loses a lot of her powers. I am sure a solution will become available, and to be completely honest it is not something that I am too worried about.
What was also very cool was the gift given to her by H'el; she can now understand and speak English. I hope this is something that is going to remain after this crossover event is done with. It is something that I did not expect to happen, and it is something that has needed to happen for some time now. It was a very nice way to do it.

This was yet another solid Supergirl issue. Mike Johnsons' run has been nothing but good and he deserves so much credit. Kara has always been a great character, and I think that this New 52 version of her may be my favourite yet. The art was once again awesome, and it seems to be getting better and better with each issue. I think I may have said that in my review of issue #13, and the art is even better this month than last months issue. This issue left on a cliffhanger, and I cant wait to see what happens in the next issue. This is a series that deserves to be read, and it does really deserve to be one of DC's best selling books.


Rating: 9 / 10



No comments:

Post a Comment