Saturday 24 November 2012

Revival #5 Review



If you read my review of the previous issue of this series then you know just how much I love it. The series has been giving more questions than answers after each issue, but that has not been a bad thing at all. In fact, it has helped add to the intrigue and mystery surrounding the revivers and the other characters in the book; who we do not know much about.

In this particular issue we were treated to more action than we are usually used to. This was also not a bad thing at all. There was one long action sequence which was done really well, and I actually did not know how it was going to end. Obviously, the way that it did end was horrific; because this is a horror book after all.

We were also introduced to the back story of the ghoul like figure that has always been in the background of his book. This was also very interesting, and it helped to add depth to a character which has always seemed important. However, it looks like he may have been killed off, which is a major negative for me if that does turn out to be the case. The build up to his reveal has been coming for some time, and for him to just be killed off in half an issue would really bother me. Saying that with this book literally anything can happen so I would not be surprised if he even made an appearance in the next issue. This was shown by a small panel that showed us even if he does not return, then maybe a relative of his will be...
Blaine Abel, the demonologist, who we have got to know a bit was killed off in this issue. This is not something I am happy about, and unfortunately I do not think that he is going to make another appearance. I think the character had a lot of potential, but I am putting my trust with Tim Seeley due to the high level this book is reaching every single month.

Dana is a character that I have been craving to see more of, and I have not been getting it. However, Em has now become my favourite character. She is really messed up; but in a good way I think. It looks as though Dana may have a bigger part to play in the next issue, which will satisfy me I am sure. It also looks like we are going to see more of a character who I believe previously has only had a couple of panels. Very interesting stuff!

I have just realised that in this review I seem to be moaning quite a lot about things I DON'T like, but the act is that I absolutely loved this issue like I have done with all the rest. Yeah a couple of the deaths are frustrating but they were done brilliantly. I am only slightly bothered as I though that these may have been characters that were going to be in for the long haul. Fortunately I think Mr Seeley has many more ideas to come that will make us forget about past events very quickly. For example, the ending of this book has made me really excited for the next issue. I am desperate to know what is coming next.
The art work in this series has constantly been one of my favourite in modern comics, and this issue was no different. In fact I would go as far as saying that it was the best yet in this issue. I think a big part of that has to do with the colours. Especially the colours in the flashback which really helped to set the scene perfectly.

This is a book that has to be picked up. There is literally nothing similar to this anywhere else in the market. It truly is a fantastic book, which is gaining positive attention each and every month. Treat yourself.

Rating: 9 / 10






No comments:

Post a Comment