Saturday 10 November 2012

Iron Man #1 Review



I picked this up eagerly anticipating a change of pace from the Matt Fraction run on "Invincible Iron Man". I was a fan of the Fraction run but I missed a few issues and got behind; never really catching up. Therefore I missed out on what seems to have been a lot of Iron Man goodness. This was my chance to get back into it, and I think I may be in for the long haul.

This particular issue is pretty much a set up issue for the first arc. Not only that but it also goes some way into describing what kind of a person Tony Stark is, which is: egotistical , arrogant; all the reasons we love him basically. So this book was pretty new reader friendly. Which makes sense considering the third instalment of the film franchise is just round the corner.

Putting all these factors together, I thought that this was a really enjoyable first issue. I love the fact that Extremis is back, and I look forward to the Enhanciles that Mr Stark will be battling against in forthcoming issues. One of my only gripes with it is that I am not really too keen on how Tony looks. I cant put my finger on it, but it may be the Robert Downey Jr effect. I don't know.

With all the positives mentioned, I still find this issue pretty hard to rate. It is a great set up issue, but it was a pretty thin read with not a great deal really happening. Saying that, I did think it had a good pace to it though compared to the slow burn of Fraction. You can tell this book is going to be full of action, and that is what is bringing me back for the next issue. Yes the issue was good; but it was not amazing. However, it has got me invested in the series  for future issues, which is what the first issue should be doing right?
If you have any interest in Iron Man then I recommend you give this a go. If you were a massive fan of Fraction, then give it a miss.


Issue Rating: 7.5 / 10

Excitement for future issues: 8 / 10


No comments:

Post a Comment