Sunday 4 November 2012

Happy #2 Review




I still think that this series really has to be read to be believed. Based on an ex police detective turned hit man who is one of only two people who can see Happy the blue horse, this is a wild ride indeed. The first issue really impressed me, and I went into this issue eager to find out what came next. If you like blood, corruption, and blue cartoon horses, then this series is for you too.

The first thing we saw was Nick escaping from the hospital he was in with the help of his new companion. The fight that broke out between Nick and the bad guys was awesome to view. It was very bloody indeed, and helped along with nice little anecdotes from Happy, it felt very surreal.

What was made clear to the reader in this issue is the fact that Nick Sax is a real ass hole  He has absolutely no interest in helping save Happy' friend. Instead, he uses the horse for his own gain which was demonstrated nicely in a high stakes poker game. The game was great, very very tense, and you could really sense the danger that surrounded Nick. However, he gave Happy his word that he would help him, which he later went back on. I find it hard to understand why he wont help him, but I guess that's because I am not Nick Sax. Anyway, he must decide to help him at some point otherwise the story will limp to a pointless conclusion.

The art was once again great. It has a really gritty atmosphere, which is something I love in a comic book like this. Happy is the most colourful thing in the book, which makes sense considering what his character is. The one thing I was not keen on in this book, is that we didn't actually get to see the fight that broke out at the poker game, only the aftermath. We may have already seen one big fight scene, but I would have enjoyed another considering how well the first one was done.

Grant Morrison is still surprising me with this series. I stated in my review of Happy #1 that I wasn't really a big fan of his, however my opinion is slowly changing. We are now halfway through this mini series, and if the remaining two issues are as good as the first, then this may be the best mini of the year.


Rating: 8/10




No comments:

Post a Comment