Friday 23 November 2012

Indestructible Hulk #1 Review



I have been wanting a Hulk ongoing series to really get my teeth into for a while now. I enjoyed Jason Aarons' run on the title, but it just wasn't the type of Hulk book I was looking for. With Marvel NOW, Mark Waid is attempting to write the book that the fans need. He has worked wonders on Daredevil, so can he do the same with The Hulk.

This issue is more of a set up issue for the series, much like the new Iron Man book, and it really looks as though this may be a series to keep your eyes on. Bruce Banner has come to realise that he has been wasting his intelligence, so he is learning to control the green monster inside him. He knows that when he is focused he can create things that can help and save the world, that is his new goal. However, he wants SHIELD to fund his research, and in return they have The Hulk at their disposal when needed.

I really like this concept and think Waid is going the right way about writing this book. In this issue I really enjoyed the scene in the diner between Hill and Bruce Banner. I thought the tempo was perfect, and the conversation flowed really well. It didn't feel like things were being spelt out for the reader, so I was happy with it.

I also really enjoyed the fight scene with The Thinker. Yeah it was simple and he was never going to be much of a match for The Hulk, but it was nice to see, and it was what the story needed in this particular issue. The art also looked stunning in this scene. However, I found a couple of panels during the fight slightly confusing. I think that may be down to the colours. Let me stress though, I found only a COUPLE of  panels confusing. The art as a whole was fantastic, even in the Diner scene. It is setting a tone, along with Waid's writing that I think suits this book perfectly. I am eagerly anticipating the new issue. You should check this out even if you are not a fan of the main character, because its Mark Waid. That should be reason enough considering the form he is in at the minute.


Rating: 8.5 / 10

Excitement for series: 9 / 10


No comments:

Post a Comment