Thursday 15 November 2012

Suicide Squad #14 Review


Well, this is one strange book to review. I have gone from really looking forward to Suicide Squad after reading last months fine issue, to now most likely dropping it after the Death of The Family ( DOTF ) tie ins are done with. What a massive difference a month makes.

So why is this book a funny one to review? Due to the fact that the DOFT tie in bits are brilliant, and the normal squad bits are very mediocre; that is why. The first half of this issue made up predominately of Harley and The Joker were exceptional. The Joker once again came across as completely terrifying. This new and improved persona he has taken on is more aggressive than anything we have ever seen, and I really hope it is here to stay. All the writers in the Batman family of books seem to be in cahoots on how to write him, which makes it a greater reading experience as the character is not having any major personality fluctuations.  I have heard rumours that it may be a copycat, but I really really hope that is not the case.

Now onto the second part of this issue. It was OK. Nothing great. All we see is the rest of the squad after the last mission which saw the death of Deadshot ( I am gutted about that by the way ). However it never really moved their story anywhere, and it just made me totally uninterested in any future story arc which includes this team. The only slightly interested bit is that Waller is planning on bringing Deadshot back from the dead ( or at least that is how I read it ), which would be pretty cool I guess.

So I have officially given up on this series. Yeah, I will buy the tie in issues just purely for any Joker appearances, and also for his interactions with Harley. Apart from that I am done with this series. I am going to miss Harley as she is one of my favourite DC characters; but alone she does not warrant the money that this series costs. If Harley had her own book then I would not have one single regret about dropping this book. It is a shame really as it used to be such a great series, and I hope one day that it can get back to those heights. If it does then I will no doubt be hopping back on board. But for now, me and this series are estranged.


Rating: 6 / 10

( The Joker and Harley = 7 / 10 )

No comments:

Post a Comment