Saturday 24 November 2012

Hawkeye #4 Review



This is by far one of the most surprising titles of 2012. Nobody was really too bothered about it when it first appeared, and now it is the must have book whatever week it comes out. This time around I think that the same can be said about this issue.
It is not as good as the previous two but I think it is better than the first issue (I was in a minority who was not too fond of the first issue), even without the usual artist at hand. Javier Pulido did a good job with the art this month. At first I wasn't too sure, but it definitely grew on me as the issue progressed. It has a really old school feel to it which is something that I like, and it really fit the style of this series in general.

What these four Hawkeye issues have delivered are simple stories with subtle complexities which make them an absolute joy to read. In this issue Clint is told to go to an auction in a foreign country to win a tape that has incriminating evidence against him and the United States. It is not exactly ground breaking stuff, but it is just so well written.

I think this is the best Clint Barton has been written possibly ever. He is such such a likeable character, and has suddenly snuck up my list of favourite Marvel characters. I am sure I am not the only person who has had this happen to them too. He is funny, intelligent, and you really feel for him when he is down in the dumps, like he was briefly at the start of this issue.

This was the first part in what I believe is a two part story. This is also the first time Fraction has done a mini story arc with this book but I do not think that anyone needs to worry. This first part was great, which has made me very excited to read the second part next month. It is the first time that I have had to wait for the next issue so the story can continue with this series. Something tells me it is going to be a long wait.


Rating: 8.5 / 10


No comments:

Post a Comment