Sunday 10 February 2013

Avengers #5 Review


This particular issue of the Avengers just focused on one of the lesser known characters named "Smasher". I had never heard of this character, as I have not been reading comics for a massive amount of time, and I ended up really enjoying this issue. That goes to show just how well Hickman is writing these origin stories. Last week we had the origin for Hyperion, which was an issue I really enjoyed too, and this week it feels like the quality of the series just keeps getting better.

Before this issue I really could not have cared less about the character named "Smasher". If you told me I would read a comic dedicated to her and enjoy it; I would definitely think that you were wrong. I loved the origin in this issue, and I also loved the supporting characters in her origin story such as her grandfather. He was only in this issue for a short amount of time but it was clear to see just how big an impact he had on her life. His personality also pretty much jumped off the page, which once again showed off Hickman's talent of getting you interested in a  character that you may have never heard of.

This issue also gave me a bit of a lesson on the structure of the Shi'aa imperial guard. This was a topic that once again I was not very familiar with, as well as also pretty uninterested in. After this issue, I felt like I had a bit more of a basic knowledge of the extended Marvel universe, as well as a genuine interest in what could happen next to them in their world.

One thing I liked about this issue, which is something I do not think we see enough of, is the way Izzy reacted when she got her new powers. She was not scared and full of questions. No, instead she just took off into space and started exploring. I know some people do not like this, and I have read some reviews that have this as a negative point, but it is this joy for life which I think made her so endearing to me in this issue.

I do not really want to spoil much with my review on this issue so I am just going to stop it right there. Hickman's run on the Avengers still looks like it is going to be epic. We have one more origin story next time around and then we are straight into the second team arc. These origin stories have been an absolute blast, and I am hoping we will see plenty more in the future after the next one.

Rating: 8.5 / 10

FREE CODE: TMM19HBA2SW8

No comments:

Post a Comment