Saturday 9 February 2013

Iron Man #6 Review


The first arc of this new series did just enough to keep me interested in this book. In fact, if it was not Iron Man then I would have dropped it by now. I did not even think that #6 would appeal to me, with the new direction and all, however I am now glad that I did not decide to drop it. Gillen has written a very humorous book here, that was actually a lot more interesting than I thought it would be.

This issue mainly focuses on Tony and his attempts to sleep with some kind of alien woman. Things end badly with this, and a twist at the end shows us that Tony is is a situation that he never thought would be possible. In three lines I have pretty much summed up this issue, so surely that means this issue was bad? No not at all. It was enjoyable, and I felt that it flowed a whole lot better than any of previous five issues of this series. It is clear that Gillen is starting to get into the flow with Iron Man, and I hope that this continues.

One thing that impressed me in this issue was how well developed this alien race were considering this was the first issue they appeared in. We still do not know an amazing amount, but we have learned quite a lot from just one issue. I am now interested in them, and I got even more interested in them when I found out who their dead god is.

This was not a perfect issue, and there are the same flaws in this issue that I have found in the previous ones. The book goes by far too quickly. I do not want a dialogue heavy book as that would go against the tone that is being made here, however I think there could be slightly more content included. This issue flowed better than others, as I mentioned before, so maybe we are going to see more packed issues in the future.
I am also still not a massive fan of the art by Greg Land. I do not think it is half as bad as people say it is, but I think this book would really benefit from a different style completely. I can understand why Land has been chosen as Tony is one of the biggest draws for Marvel, and his style is simple and does not over complicate things; which may have put readers off.

Overall, this a lot better from Gillen, and I am hoping for more of the same during the rest of this arc. I went into this issue waiting for an excuse to drop this series, and by the last panel I was certain that I would be picking up #7 when it hits the shelves.
This issue really should have been #1, but it still works as a great jumping on point for new readers. Lets hope that the development of this new race, as well as the character development of Tony, keep going in the same direction as in this issue.

Rating: 7.25 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment