Saturday 9 February 2013

Superior Spider-Man #3 Review

I enjoyed Superior Spider-Man #1; not as much as I thought I would, but I enjoyed it enough. I did not review #2, but I can tell you that I enjoyed it a lot more that the first issue of the series. With #3 now having been read, I can say with confidence that I think this series is getting better with each passing issue. This latest chapter was extremely well written, which makes me think that Slott is really get to grips with this new Spidey, and he is less scared of what people are going to think about what he is doing. He is getting in to full flow and reminding us as to why we love the fact that he writes Spider-Man books.

There were many elements of this book that I just really enjoyed. I loved the way that the ghost of Peter is now being transferred into Doc's memories when he is having a flashback. These scenes are very enlightening for the readers, and they are also helping Peter understand more about his biggest nemesis. It also seems pretty logical considering Doc can access Peters' old memories, so it is not too strange that this can be done the other way around.
These flashbacks helped us understand why Doc decided to fight Vulture they way that he did so too. He fought him the way we are used to seeing this new Superior Spider-Man fight, but this time we got a bit more of an explanation as to why he chose to fight like this on this specific occasion.  I am not going to ruin it, but I will say that it actually made me feel some sympathy for Doc; which is something essential I think that readers have to feel to care about the character at all.
Speaking of the way vulture was defeated in this issue; I, yes you guessed it, loved it. It was done in a very clever way. A way only Doc could do due to his intellect. It was impressive and tactical, which is something we are used to seeing in a spidey book, but Doc really gives added emphasis to the impressiveness.

It is also starting to become more clear that Carlie knows more about what has happened to Peter than she is letting on. I am really intrigued as to how this is going to develop in future issues. Will Doc decide to get rid of her? Or will she ultimately be the factor that helps Peter back into his own body? Only time will tell, and I trust that Slott will keep on building it up in just the right way.

The art in this book was also something I found mightily impressive, which is a change for me as I am not really a fan or the artists used currently in recent months on spidey books. However, Ryan Stegman does a fantastic job in this chapter. I have seen his work before but not been overly impressed, but I think he really stepped up to the plate in this issue. He may just have got a sense of just how important this issue was when he saw the script, so came up with some of his best work yet? That is the impression I got from some of the panels in this issue anyway.

This is a great issue, and what I think is a great advert for the Superior Spider-Man. I do really think that it is getting better with each passing issue, and I feel that the plot points are really starting to develop and multiply too. I am interested in this series for many different plot points, and I am sure I am will be more invested in it due to many more in the future. I highly recommend people jump on with this issue if they have not done so already with this book.

Rating: 8.5 / 10

FREE CODE: TMM19NZ8U25V

1 comment:

  1. Personally, Spider-Man 3 was the best out of the entire series; awesome plot, great acting by McGuire and some really funny scenes as well!! :D

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNWCB9O_s2M

    ReplyDelete