Saturday 9 February 2013

Daredevil End of Days #5 Review


People who read my blog frequently will know just how in love I am with this particular series. It is visually stunning, and the writing is above and beyond 90% of titles on the stands at the moment. Bendis and Mack make a fantastic team, and five issues in, they are still to let me down. The fifth chapter of this intriguing and grim tale is just as good as the four previous. However, the difference for me was that with this issue I really got the feeling that we were starting to move along a little faster.

The initial scene with the Punisher was something I have been eagerly anticipating since the end of the last issue, and I was really not disappointed  It was incredibly tense, and I really enjoyed the conclusion of this talk. Punisher also pointed Ben into a direction that for some reason I never even thought about. It makes a ton of sense, but I had a "oh yeah!" kind of moment. The reveal snuck up on me, and I am sure that this is something that Bendis planned. Brilliantly done.

What this series does great is introduces characters that are not really seen as being incredibly important, and making them come out as stars in this book. In any other title if you told me that Gladiator and Ben would be having a discussion over a large amount of pages, I would probably give that title a miss. However, in this issue, the feel of conversations like this are just electric. You have Ben desperate to get to the bottom of things, while the person he is talking too is explaining a life that is completely new to us. I am fairly new to the world of DD, as you guys know, but this issue has made me on the look out for Gladiator in the future and in back issue format too.

The end of this issue leaves us on another cliffhanger, which I am eagerly anticipating the outcome of. I think it is quite obvious what will happen but I hope they go in a certain route that I have in my head. If they do this then we may be in for a very interesting one on one scene in #6.

Once again David Mack hit it out of the park in this issue. This is nothing new in this series as he is really doing a phenomenal job. When I posted my review of #5, he got in touch with me via twitter and thanked me for my kind words towards this title. He is not only a great artist, but he seems like a great guy too.

This is a series that I really can not recommend highly enough. Pick up all five issues that have been released so far, read them in one sitting, and I can guarantee you will be hooked. Reading this series with a nice mug of black coffee is absolute perfection. Bring on #6 next month.

Rating: 9 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment