Sunday 17 February 2013

Uncanny X-Men #1 Review


We have missed Uncanny X-Men a lot over the last three months, so it is great to see it back already. This time is back with a whole new attitude, as well as one of the greatest writers right now at the helm of it, Brian Michael Bendis. This series is going to follow Cyclops and his team and he attempts to build a mutant revolution. It is a very interesting concept, which this #1 does a great job at getting me interested in even more.

This issue focuses on someone who has turned themselves in to SHIELD with information on what exactly Cyclops is up to. This person is not named or shown until the end, and I can tell you now that the reveal is something that really shocked me. I did not have a clue throughout the issue who it could be, and I was certainly not expecting it to be who it ended up to be. What I also liked about the reveal was the dialogue that followed on the last page. This mystery person is focused on taking down Cyclops, and he has a personal interest in doing just that.

We also saw a flashback of events that happened in San Diego as Cyclops took another new mutant under his wing. In this scene we also got to see his two new recruits in action. They have come along way since they were first taken in by Scott, which is scary as it was not that long ago ( 4 days for one of them ).
I cant wait to see more new mutants, and I cant wait to see how they are going to react when they realise what Scott is really up to. They may even become totally brainwashed, which I think will be awesome to see. Scott Summers leading a group of die hard followers is something I would be very interested in seeing.

The art in this issue by Chris Bachalo was absolutely stunning in some places. The scenes involving SHIELD were immense. They were fantastic to view, and they really helped set up the epicness of what I am sure this series will become. Unfortunately, during the battle scene in San Diego the art did become a bit hit and miss. Yes, a fight with Sentinels is not going to be clean, I get that. However I did feel like some of the panels could have been more clear with what was going on in them. Apart from that, I believe that we have a great artist for this series, and I am very much looking forward to more of Bachalos' work in future issues.

This series has got off to a great start and I am very keen to read more. I am enjoying the place that Cyclops is in at the minute. He is not a complete bad guy, and is walking a really fine line between good and bad. I can't wait until his intentions become a bit clearer as this series progresses.
The next issue is advertised to show us Scott training his new recruits, which I am sure is going to be a blast to read. I would get involved in this series for sure. If you are an X-Men fan or a Bendis fan then I think that this will be for you.

Rating: 8.7 / 10

FREE CODE: TMM15GSTVEH3


No comments:

Post a Comment