Sunday 24 February 2013

Avengers #6 Review


This is the 3rd Avengers issue in a row that solely focuses on one of the lesser known characters that new fans may not be aware of. I have been a big fan of this format, as not having read comic books for as long as some other people, I feel that I have really benefited from these. This particular issue focuses on Captain Universe, who I honestly have never read about. By the end of the issue however, I not only knew about her, but I also felt quite a bit of sympathy towards her.

This issue focused on telling us who exactly Captain Universe is. There is a woman who is the host of this life form, and that is who we learned about. This issue only really touched on who she was, and there are still some questions surrounding her, but it was enough to make me intrigued enough to want to know more about her. Hickman does a great job here in one issue of turning a relative unknown into a character that you care about. He is now 3 for 3 for me using this kind of format.
She also helped us understand exactly what "Adam" has been trying to telling us since he has been with the Avengers. The cryptic message that he gave is exactly that; cryptic. I am not too sure what it means, but it looks to me like things will become clearer in the next issue. What can be said for sure though, is that it still looks like Hickman is going for that epicness I have spoken about so many times regarding this series.

Spider-Man had some great moments in this issue with Sunspot and Cannonball; who are characters that I also know nothing about. There moments were very comedic, and they have also made me want to see more of those two guys in that kind of capacity. Of course I want to see them doing something of use for the team as a whole, but it was clear to me in this issue that they also work fantastically when used in this particular way.

I have enjoyed these last 3 issues immensely as they have spotlighted characters that I would not have read about otherwise. This particular issue seems to link in very nicely to the next story arc we will be seeing in this series. As of right now there is quite a bit of darkness surrounding what it all means, but I trust Hickman to tell a great story with it. Whatever it is, it feels like it is going to be huge.

Rating: 8.7 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment