Sunday 10 February 2013

Green Arrow #17 Review


I have decided to jump onto this series due to the new creative team that took over with this issue. I am a massive Jeff Lemire fan, so I could not resist checking this out. However, it is not my first rodeo with Green Arrow in the New 52, as I have the first volume TPB on my shelf. I found it to be wholly disappointing  and decided not to continue reading that version of the hooded vigilante. So, can this new creative team pique my interested in this series, or will I once again be ignoring it?

So, I have no clue what is going on in the world of Green Arrow due to not reading an issue since #6. However, this was not a problem as this book did a fantastic job at recapping what has passed without throwing it in your face. After the first few pages I felt I was up to date with what Oliver has been up too, as well as what will be facing him in his future. The fact that this was pulled off so successfully just goes to show how awesome Jeff Lemire is at his job. I really get the impression that he could write anything; but I may just be being slightly biased.

The action in this book was something that I was very impressed with. The art is fantastic, and it does a great job at highlighting important moments in scenes with the use of square boxes that get you a little closer to the action. I went into this issue excited due to the fact that Lemire was the writer, so was not expecting to be so blown away by the art; I have now come out at the end of it as a big Sorrentino fan.

I was also quite shocked at a certain moment in this issue that gave the impression that some major characters may be in some serious trouble. I have only read volume 1 of this series, but these were characters that I liked. I was originally happy that they were still featured in this series, and now it looks like they may not be? It could just be a trick, we will have to see.

This book gave us new readers may answers as to what has happened in the past, however it also gave us many questions for what will happen to Oliver in the future. I left this issue with so many questions, which is a very good thing by the way. I am really curious as to what will happen to Oliver, as well as what was supposed to be his destiny. Lemire has a game plan here, and I really can't wait for it to all unfold. So, it looks like I will be in this for the long run then.

Rating: 8.5 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment