Saturday 9 February 2013

Animal Man #17 Review


It is finally here; the finale of "Rotworld". It is what all Animal fans have been eagerly anticipating for the last few months, so can it live up to the hype that Jeff Lemire has built up for it? I think this issue certainly does. The action in this issue is brilliant, and there were some moments in it that I was truly not expecting to see. When I read that it was part one of the finale, I did initially let out a moan, however I am now very happy that it is continuing into the latest issue of Swamp Thing as well.

One thing that made this issue different to how I was expecting it to be was the way it constantly jumped from the Animal Man story line and the Swamp Thing storyline. I had a feeling this would be the case considering Synder is credited in this book, however it was not something I was necessarily looking forward too. I have only been reading the Animal Man chapters of this storyline, so was not too bothered about reading what was happening on the other side.
However Synder made it very enjoyable and accessible, especially considering I am a new reader to the Swamp Thing. Nothing was too confusing, and the way this issue went back forth felt very natural. It flowed beautifully.

As mentioned above there were some moments in this issue that I was completely not expecting. I am slightly concerned about giving too much away with this review, so I am going to attempt to keep spoilers to a minimum. Saying that though, this issue really needs to be checked out for the change of Green Lantern, as well as the final page which I think was shocking and pretty horrific.
Throughout the issue we were given the feeling that the good guys were going to come out on top, and most probably end the issue in a good position for the next instalment  Unfortunately for Buddy though, this did not happen. The last page of the book has made me want to pick up Swamp Thing #17, as I am unsure how Buddy can continue in this fight, as well as reverse what changes have been made to someone.

Overall, this was yet again another solid issue in this series. I had concerns that maybe this finale would not live up to the months of build up, however it looks like I am completely wrong on that front. It seems to me that after reading this book, AM fans will be happy with the start of this finale, and also be desperate for more. It has made me want to pick up Swamp Thing #17 as I said; so surely that means that this book has done its job?

Rating: 8 / 10


No comments:

Post a Comment