Monday 11 February 2013

Red Team #1 Review


I did not know much about this series when I bought this issue apart from it being written by Garth Ennis, and it being a #1 issue this month. I also kind of knew that it followed a special team of cops, which is something that really appeals to me as I do not read enough books like this that are purely in the crime genre. After reading this issue I can say for sure that this is a series that I am going to be keeping my eyes on in the future, and will be picking it up whenever it comes out.

I have read reviews of this issue that have slated it due to it being very wordy. This is something that I have absolutely no problem with. I think that a book a lot less wordy would feel like it was skimming on the details, and I do not think the full story of these complicated events would come across half as well. I would much rather read a comic book that forces me to concentrate than read through a book in less than 10 minutes.

I am still not too familiar with the characters, but after reading just one issue I am starting to see a couple of the teams personalities coming through. I think Ennis has intentionally made two of them come out in this issue more so than the other two members. I am sure that we will be learning more about the other two members in the next issue; which is completely fine by me.
Ennis has also set down foundations for some of the supporting cast in this first issue. There is one particular character, who is a leader of a similar team to this group we are following, that I am very excited to see more of in the future. He came across in this issue as a complete asshole; so he is my kind of guy!

It is very hard to judge a series from just one issue, but I have really got a good feeling about this book. Ennis has set up a really intriguing series that I am eager to follow. If you are fans of the tv shows "The Wire" or "The Shield" then I suggest you read this first issue and make your own mind up. It is a 3.99 book but I feel that you really get your moneys worth due to the amount of content in it. You will need to put aside a good 20 minutes to get through this and to get a good feel for it; however I can guarantee that if you are into this sort of thing then it will be a 20 minutes really well spent.

Rating: 9 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment