Sunday 13 January 2013

Animal Man #16 Review


Jeff Lemire has really been writing some quality comic books during this Animal Man run of his. The Rotworld story arc has been going on for what seems like forever, which is not a bad thing, but we are now coming near the end. This is what I guess is the penultimate issue for Rotworld in Animal Man, and it really is full steam ahead for the finale next month.

I mentioned in a previous review that I wished it would take them a while to get to Arcane's base, but in reality it was just a turn of the page. You would think that this would annoy me but it did not at all due to what had come before that in this issue.
We had a beautifully looking battle in Metropolis which I think was pretty much filler in this issue, but if you read AM, then you know that even the filler is way above average when Lemire is on form. We also learned more about the scale that Rotworld was on, as well as just how powerful it is. Of course we knew it was powerful, but when the Guardians cant even stop it, you know you are really in trouble.

The highlight of this issue had to be the other plot in this book; which is of course was Maxine before Rotworld had started. I was really enjoying how she had to grow up and take responsibility for who she was destined to be in previous issues, but with this issue the rug really was pulled right from under our feet. Something happened here that I was really not expecting, but it also makes sense considering the effect that Rotworld has had on Earth. In fact, thinking about it, I am surprised that I never saw something like this coming. I am just hoping that Lemire can somehow make everything better, but with the tone of this book something tells me that I may be wishing for something that will not happen. Happy endings are never guaranteed with Animal Man.

This issue was mainly build up for the final battle next issue; which happens to include some familiar faces on the opposition side. However, that is not to say that this was a bad issue, in fact it was a very good issue. Some plot points came together which helped to make sense of what has happened on the planet.
Rotworld has been such an epic event, that may have gone on just slightly too long, but with the end in sight now I am just very pumped to see how this will all end.

Rating: 8.3 / 10

Yes 8.3. I think I am going to break out into these type of ratings from now on.



No comments:

Post a Comment