Wednesday 2 January 2013

Punk Rock Jesus #6 Review *FINAL ISSUE*


This series has been absolutely amazing. Each issue has been top drawer, and I am very excited to read the series back now it is complete. Sean Murphy has created the best mini series of 2012, which happens to be one of my favorites of all time. You can tell already that I loved this issue, there were so many reasons too, and if you have read from the start then what you will get here is a very satisfying ending indeed.

We start off learning more about Thomas' past. This is something I have always been interested in, but it has never been my favorite part of any issue it has been explored in. However, in this issue, we saw everything get tied together very nicely; which also showed how he got to where he was at the beginning of this series. It was something we had all been wondering; how had this bad ass become the bodyguard for a Jesus clone? Well now I can safely safe it is an explanation that I am very happy with.

I do not want to give any spoilers away in this review as I want as many people to read this series as possible so things may start to get a bit vague now. What happened in the rest of the issue was very emotional, which took me completely be surprise to be honest. Yes, I have enjoyed this series greatly, but I did not think I was attached to the characters as much as I am. The fact that Sean Murphy has made me, after six issues, be desperate for a character to survive it all; goes to show how well written these characters actually are.

There has been a major theme of religion running through this whole series (obviously), and I just want to touch on what we saw of that theme in this issue. A certain character in this book described what Chris had been through in his short life and made comparisons to Jesus. This panel or two was fantastic and once you read it you will be shocked that you didn't see certain shall we say, similarities.

I am going to miss this series, but I honestly think that six issues was a perfect amount for it to develop and come to an ending which I am sure most fans of it will appreciate. Reading it all the way through in a sitting or two is my next challenge. It is one that I really cant wait for. If you have not been reading this then pick the trade up, you will not be disappointed.


Rating: 9.5 / 10


 P.s Oh, This issue also had one of the best last pages I have seen. I am going to challenge followers of this series to not have a wry smile / cheeky chuckle when they see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment