Sunday 13 January 2013

Punisher Nightmare #2 Review


Once again with this issue, this mini has got some very mixed reviews. You are either going to love or hate this title; I for one like it a lot. Yeah, I know I am a big Punisher fan, but this issue hardly focuses on Frank at all. What we get with this issue is more background information on the other character in this series; Jake. We learn just what happened to him when he was in the US army, as well as what him and Frank have been up to since they left the hospital.

Like the first issue, a lot of what goes on in this issue is internal; meaning there are alot of boxes filled with speech. I, for one, was not bothered by this in the slightest. It is a pretty wordy comic book, but I just really enjoy it.
The guy who wrote this series is some kind of producer on "The Walking Dead", and I think you can certainly tell he is from a TV background. The story is not linear in the slightest, and can be slightly confusing if you are not too interested in what is happening. However, I think it shows just what well written comic books can achieve. This may be suited best as being some kind of mini TV show, but I still think it comes over amazingly well in comic book form.

The books internal monologues and flashbacks focus entirely on Jake this month. It was clear to me from quite early on in this issue what exactly had happened to him, but it was still cool to see it all come together at the end. It was like some kind of TV episode, but as I mentioned earlier I think it worked extremely well. We now know why Jake has some kind of mad side to him, which before this issue I did not think for one moment that it was going to be anything like the reveal that we saw here.
It is very easy to feel sorry for Jake and everything he has gone through, however it looks to me like we might not be feeling sorry for him anymore. The man seems to be losing his mind, but it is not entirely his fault. It is going to be interesting to see just how Frank deals with him in the coming weeks.

This is the second Punisher book of the week and just like the first I really enjoyed this one. It is a wordy book but it is a very solid story; so for me you cant really go wrong here. I dont understand why some people dont like wordy comic books. Of course if they are written crap then that can't be helped, but I really think that more people need to give this book a chance. There are three more issues left and I can't wait to get my hands on #3 next week.

Rating: 8 / 10





No comments:

Post a Comment