Friday 4 January 2013

The Flash #15 Review


This series has been nothing short of excellent...until about three issues ago when this storyline started. I have never really been a big fan of King Grodd and the gorilla army, but I was willing to give this arc a chance. However, I assume we are quite a way through it at the minute and I really can not wait for it to be over with.

After the first couple of pages I could tell it was going to be one of those issues, as the fantastic Francis Manapul does not go on art duties until the end; so I was thrown off pretty much straight away. However, this issue has more than just some bad art.
The story progression is not really great, and the fact that they got a whole issue out of it is just downright amazing. Two thirds of this issue focuses on characters around the city who are struggling their own battles as the Gorillas are attempting to take over. However, with each and every character, not much is happening at all. They all get a page or three each when in reality all their tales could have been condensed to one double spread.

It is not all bad in this issue as the last few pages saw Barry having flash forwards of all possible outcomes in the gorilla battle; which looked beautiful. It was a nice idea too, however I just do not think that it was executed as well as it could have been. It was also spread out for quite a few pages too, like most things in this issue; which bothered me.

Overall, this was really not a great issue of The Flash. I am probably being slightly harsh on this story arc as I recall thinking the last issue had got this story back on track; now unfortunately I am worried again. This is a title I am going to continue picking up due to how great it has been. I have every confidence that it will get back to that high level of consistency; I am just not sure when that will be. I am really hoping it will return starting with issue #16.

Rating: 6.5 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment