Friday 4 January 2013

Judge Dredd #2 Review


I didn't write a review for issue #1; which I found to be enjoyable enough, if slightly forgettable. In fact it was forgettable enough to make me not plan on picking up this second issue of the series. However, my impulsiveness got the better of me on this occassion; which I am glad it did. In this issue I think Swierzynski is starting to get more into the swing of things in the Judge Dredd universe. It really feels like a Dredd book, which is more than just a good thing.

This issue is split into two stories much like #1, however the whole feel of the book is completely different. I get the feeling with #1 that the plan was to make a new reader friendly issue and that is why it felt kind of bland. However, with this latest issue we have been fully thrown into the Dredd universe. This issue picks up from the storyline of the first issue and just runs with it.

What I really enjoyed was the added mystery to the main story. It gave an added dimension to this part of the arc, and also helped the story along. At one point I wasn't too sure how it was helping the story progress, but by the end of it I was more than impressed with how everything had unfolded.
The second story was only 6 pages long, but I also really enjoyed it. It had the same mystery theme as the main story, and I was interested in it all the way through. It was a very nice back up.

Of course, in both stories we were introduced to Psi Judge Anderson; who is a massive fan favorite among those who have read the 2000AD stories. I was very pleasantly surprised with her introduction. I always knew she would appear at some point, but I was surprised by how early in the series they have brought her in. This is great news for Dredd fans, and I am sure new readers are going to take to her just as much.

I am now very happy I picked this issue up, and I am looking forward to the next issue greatly. The introduction of Anderon is massive for me, as well as the fact that the team really want to make a Dredd book and not just any old action comic. This is something which is going to please old fans, as well as give new readers a taste of  this fantastic universe; which in my opinion does not get showcased enough.  I have read really mixed reviews about this series so far, so I recommend those who arent sure whether to jump in to just try it for themselves. It is a unique read as it is Judge Dredd, but how are you going to know if it is for you if you don't go for it? You may become a Dredd fan for life.


Rating: 8 / 10



No comments:

Post a Comment