Saturday 12 January 2013

Thor God Of Thunder #4 Review


Jason Aaron has been building an absolute epic with his Thor series so far. The first three isues have been tremndous, and I am very pleased to say that this one is exactly the same. Throughout the issue we jump between all three different Thor's, but not once does it feel confusing. It has kept the formula that it had with previous issues, and it is still just as fresh and exciting now. This is just an amazing book that I feel is running slightly under the radar with some people.

Before this issue the old Thor was my least favorite version out of the three. He probably still is now to be fair, but I think this issue really made the distance between him and other two virtually nothing. In fact after the first few pages when I realized it was jumping between them again, I was slightly disappointed as I was eager to see what was going to happen with Thor from the future.

One of the best things about this issue was the introduction of Shadrak. He was the God in the cave at the end of issue #3. What we find out in this issue is that he is kind of like a Dobbie (Harry Potter) kind of character, or he seems that way to me. A couple of things he said did make me laugh, or maybe that was unintentional. Regardless, the way he is drawn in this issue is just out of this world. There is one panel in particular that I looked at for some time in quite a bit of detail due to just how amazing it was.

The first time we see the past Thor in this scene is when he is involved in quite a chilling scene in the cave with the God butcher. Some of the things he says are pretty dark to say the least when he is threatening Thor with torture. It made me imagine the scene in some kind of horror film, and let me tell you, it would be pretty terrifying.

The ending of this issue confused me a bit to start with. I am not too sure how what has happened has actually happened, but of course that will all become evident when the next issue is with us. This is just a fantastic series, and it is one that I highly recommend you pick the back issues up for if you have not been reading it. Jason Aaron is producing some of his finest work with this; it is unmissable. A fine example of why I think Marvel NOW has been such a success; Jason Aaron writing the God of Thunder.

Rating: 8.5 / 10


No comments:

Post a Comment