Saturday 12 January 2013

Superior Spider Man #1 Review

So, it is finaslly here..the new Spider Man status quo for the forseeable future. Doc Ock is Peter Parker, and Peter died in the body of his greatest nemesis. I really could not wait for this to be released. I had to wait until today ( Saturday ) to pick this up so I have been avoiding spoilers around it all week. Was I dissapointed after reading it, or did it live up to my very high expectations?

This issue is a strange one. I got half ay through and I wasnt too sure if I liked it at all. Even at the end when there was a big reveal; I was still slightly unsure. It was only after sitting around thinking about it that I realised that I enjoyed this issue very much. One of the reasons for me being totally unsure at first, is the fact that this new Spider Man is a complete ass. I thought after the last issue that maybe Doc Ock was going to become a real hero; but that is not what we got. It was only after finishing that I realised that this is the whole point.
We as readers are never supposed to like Doc Ock; in fact we are supposed to dislike him a lot. Some of his actions as Spider Man in this issue will anger long time fans; but remember they are supposed too. There is also a scene with MJ that was really creepy. He only wants one thing from MJ, and I think we all know what that is.

What I did really enjoy was how he defeated the Sinister Six. It was in a very Doc Ock way, but you can't help but applaud the ideas that he came up with. This new SS in this issue did not look too danger ous at all, however their purpose was to only show how our Spider Man behaves in battle.

I can't review this issue withut mentioning the massive reveal at the end. A reveal that showed that maybe our long time hero has not gone away completely after all. It makes sense to progress with the story in this way, and his role in this issue also made sense to me.

Lastly, I just want to briefly mention Ryan Stegmans' art. It is a style that I am not overly familiar with, so I was not enjoying the first battle with the Sinister Six at all. However, the normal everyday scenes did look beautiful, and by the time the final battle came I was really enjoying what I was seeing. Peter also looked very confident and slimy throughout, which really showed just who he was now. He was nearly unrecognisable to the Peter that we are used to seeing.

This series still intrigues me alot. This issue was all setup so it is hard to judge just how this series will go. To me though, all the key componenets are here to make this a great title. Saying that, it is going to be a frustrating read at times due to the charcter inside Parkers' head. I do think readers need to remember though that we are supposed to get annoyed reading this. That is the whole point, and it also shows just how great a writer Slott really is.


Rating: 8 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment