Wednesday 2 January 2013

Iron Man #5


I like this title. Admittedly its not the best Marvel NOW title out and I am feeling slightly underwhelmed by it all, but it is decent enough. Each issue of this series is doing just enough to make me want to buy the next and I guess that is something that comic books are about.

This issue saw the end of the first story arc which ended in Iron Man finally getting all the Extremis kits which were sold on the black market. The issue itself was pretty good, but I was expecting something a bit bigger considering this was the LAST Extremis pack he had to collect. Tony even stated he was saving it until last, so I thought that there was going to be some pretty major drama. However, this part of the issue ended like most of his collecting missions have done; underwhelmingly.

What was interesting was the final third of this issue where this series has taken a completely unexpected turn. As I mentioned in my intro, it has made me want to read more, which is a good thing. It has also made this whole story arc feel like it has been one big introduction to Iron Man, which may turn out to be a great idea. There may have been a lot of new fans jumping on this title with #1, so the first arc has been a little simple. I enjoy Gillen's work so I am trusting him with this and hope that his plan is how I expect to be; which is to really kick on in the next arc.

I am sticking with this book because I love Tony Stark. I am probably going to stick with this book regardless of the quality. As I have said, it is not TERRIBLE, it is just not how I would like it to be. This book seems to be coming out every couple of weeks, so I guess it is a matter of time before we know where this series is going. Will it be happy to stay being medicore, or will it try for something more? I know what I want from it.


Rating: 7 / 10


No comments:

Post a Comment