Saturday 26 January 2013

Justice League #16 Review


I have been loving this "Throne of Atlantis" crossover even so far, however I do not think this issue was as good as it should have been. Don't get me wrong, it had some great moments in it and I really enjoyed the ending off the issue, but I really don't think it flowed as well as it should have done.

The Justice League were fighting among themselves in this issue due to Aquaman trying to prevent a war from breaking out. This should have been epic, but it kind of fell flat. The art, which I so often comment on how great it is, really confused things in some scenes. I found it quite hard to tell what was going on in some panels showing fighting between the team. This for me really effected the flow of the issue. It made it quite stop start, a in some panels I was understanding what was going on, and then in others I was slightly confused or I didn't like how things looked.

On the other hand though, the panels showing the Ocean Master and his forces attacking the League looked great. You really got a sense of just how powerful the Ocean Master is, and he seems like a major threat in the New 52.
Superman also looked great in this issue. I loved the way he used his heat vision; which truly was pretty unique. The half page depicting it also looked awesome. Showing how powerful he was, and then showing him getting beat, really helped to confirm that the League really are in trouble here.

The ending of this issue nicely helps promote the new JL book is hitting stores next month. However, to me it doesn't feel like it was cheaply done at all. I think there is now a great opportunity to show how great the JLA are going to be, and just how important they are in the DC universe. I was unsure about purchasing the new series, but I think after seeing them make an appearance in the next issue of this title; then I will most definitely be picking myself up a copy of #1.

Yeah, so this wasn't the issue that I think it should have been. It still had its moments though and I did enjoy reading it. The Shazam back up was also very good as usual. The end of the issue really helped this book, but I think Geoff Johns kind of put everything on a back burner in order to build up for his new team reveal. I really do think that #17 will be stepping the tempo back up again though, and I am looking forward to picking up Aquaman #16 in order to continue the story.

Rating: 7 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment