Sunday 13 January 2013

Colder #3 Review


The previous two issue of this mini series were tremendous. I think #1 was better than #2, but they were both awesome regardless. However, there was a big theme in the previous installments of leaving the reader with more questions than answers come the end of the books. It was frustrating me after the last issue that even though I was enjoying the ride; I did feel slightly lost. This issue, however, finally gives us some answers that we have been waiting for. We finally found out what Nimble Jack is, as well as what Declan has powers to do. Everything is starting to come together beautifully.

Nimble Jack. Oh, Nimble Jack. I called after #1 that this character was terrifying and reminded me slightly of Heath Ledger's Joker; well I was not too far off at all. This series is already very popular, and I can really see Nimble Jack becoming some kind of cult hero in the near future. The way he finished off a countdown near the start of the book just showed how horrifying he can be.

Once again, the other world looked stunning. In fact, this book as a whole looks absolutely fantastic. There are some panels that you just can not help but stare at. This series is the first time I have seen any of this artists work, but I will definitely be looking out for it in the future.

In this issue it has also become clear that Declan is in love with Reece. I assume there will be some kind of happy ending in two issues time, which I am looking forward to. I really don't think I could take a sad ending, which it could so easily do with this series. However, I think it will push me over the edge. After three issues I am massively invested in these characters, and I hope they come out the other side of this sane and normal.
Speaking of Reece; the last two pages of this book could have come straight out of a horror film. The art for hem was outstanding, and the tension in the car really jumped off the page. There is one panel where the desperation on Declans' face is so well drawn he looks like a real person.

I thought issue #2 of this series had taken its foot off the pedal slightly after an amazing #1. However, after reading this I can confirm that we are firmly back on track with this mini series. I am sure we will be given more answers in the near future to some questions, but things are starting to fall into place at last. If you guys want to read a horror book then look no further than this.


Rating: 9 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment