Saturday 26 January 2013

Uncanny X-Force #1 Review


Ok, I read pretty much none of the previous volume of Uncanny X-Force, so I went into this #1 pretty new to a couple of the characters. The main reason I picked this up was due to Psylocke as I have an unnatural obsession with her, however I have come away from reading this looking forward to the next issue immensely.

First things first; Psylocke is a total bad ass. I love her character, yet I have never read an amazing amount about her. So after reading this issue I automatically fell in love with the character all over again. She swear a lot, she always seems to want a fight; my kind of woman! I am looking forward to reading tons more of this characterisation of her.

The characters that I was originally unfamiliar with are: Spiral, Puck, and Fantomex. After reading this issue though I am very much looking forward to reading more about them, especially Fantomex and his "lover"; that looks very interesting indeed.
In that respect I think Sam Humphries has done a great job at making established characters of the book easy to get into for new readers to the series like myself. Yes I imagine if you read the previous volume then you may enjoy this issue more, but I am sure that some important parts of the story from the last volume will be explained in this new series. This is something I am looking forward too hugely; the back story of the characters that are completely new to me.

Another thing that really stuck out for me in this #1 issue was the fantastic art by Ron Garney. Before I read this issue I had read reviews mentioning how great the art was, so I had a feeling that it would be quite impressive. After reading it I can say for sure that it really is visually stunning and very very unique. It is making sure that if you saw a couple of random panels online you would know for sure that it was an Uncanny X-Force issue.

Overall I really enjoyed this issue. I originally bought it for the wonderful Psyclocke, and I am going to continue buying it for the rest of the great characters highlighted in this issue. Sam Humphries has stepped up to the challenge of writing a new volume of this great series, and I really think that he is going to succeed if early signs are anything to go by.

Rating: 8 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment