Friday 28 December 2012

Justice League #15 Review


I only got back into this series due to the whole Superman / Wonder Woman romance that has started to develop. I believe that was in issue #13. Issue #14 I thought was pretty good, but I found it to be lacking in certain areas.
I wasn't even planning on picking this issue up until I saw it in my LCS and thought: "Oh go on then". With the promise of a new crossover event, and also being told that "A bold new era begins", I found that I could just not resist. So with all that in mind, lets see how I found this issue.

This issue is laying the foundations for the major crossover event titles "Throne of Atlantis"; and I think it does an excellent job in doing so. This issue is very action packed, which is something that everyone wants from a JL book; but it really needs to be done well, and in this issue it certainly is. You really get a sense of the massive scale of destruction that is happening now, as well as the potential damage that could happen to the world in the future of this event. The danger towards the human race feels big enough to be taken seriously which is something that can be hard to do in a first issue of a major event. However, I think Geoff Johns does a great job with it in this particular issue.
 There is also a lot of explanation from Aquaman to just what is happening; which is something I think is needed considering I am not really too familiar with Atlantis and its residents. This also helps to build to the danger of what is happening, as well as how monumental this series could potentially be.

My favorite bits of this issue were the character moments between Superman and Wonder Woman. I loved how he is trying to help her fit in with normal human life; which is something that she has never really attempted to do. While I found it all very cute, it still fit in with the main story running through the issue, as we saw our heroes get drawn into a battle to save Metropolis. Some of the art on show in this scene was awesome, and a nice double page spread helped to show the destruction that was happening to the city. The teamwork between the two was also great to see in this scene in order to help save the day.

When talking about the Justice League you really cant not mention the Shazam story which is at the back end of every issue. It is something that I really really enjoy, and I really believe that an ongoing series of this character would sell really well. However, for now it makes the 3.99 price of this book more than acceptable considering the amount of content on offer.

I really enjoyed this issue, so much show that I have bought Aquaman #15 as I have been informed that it carries on from where this book left off. Considering I have never read any Aquaman, this is a pretty big achievement for this book to make people like me do this. I am very interested in this major event, and I am just hoping that a level of consistency can be reached month to month in order to keep me interested. This is something that I have found JL to struggle with in the past, and I am really rooting for them to succeed this time around.

Rating: 9 / 10


No comments:

Post a Comment