Friday 14 December 2012

Animal Man #15 Review


What a fascinating arc this is turning out to be. When Rotworld first started I was not too happy due to having not read any of Swamp Thing in the New 52, so not being too familiar with one of the main characters involved. However, I have come to realize that that makes no difference at all. I still do not read any Swamp Thing and I am really enjoying this story arc from one perspective.

This issue had lots in it. We first saw a big battle against the Gorillas led by Grodd. I really enjoyed Frankenstein's appearance during all of this. I have read none of Lemire's work on the character, but really loved his role in this issue. He seems like a great character, and a great choice to involve in this arc.
My favorite part of the book had to be the chilling dream that Buddy had about his family. Seeing Cliff in the state he was in was chilling to say the least. It is these horror aspects of the series that make it so different to any old Animal Man books, and also so successful. One full page spread during a flashback involving Little Wing also showed off the horror aspects nicely.
There were also some nice character moments during the groups travel to Metropolis after they had defeated the gorilla army. They really feel like a tight knit group who are all trying to achieve the same goal.
What was the most shocking part of this issue was what they found when they finally reached Metropolis. They went there expecting to find Superman held captive, but they ended up finding another member of the Justice League. The shock was helped seeing as the reveal was shown as a last page full spread. It was a true holy hell moment.

I am very excited for the next issue, and I really cant get enough of the current team dynamic. I do not think that this will last long however, but I am having fun just going along on this journey with Buddy Baker and the rest of the gang. It still has that Stephen King feel to this current arc, and I can see some more twists and turns occurring that would make the master of suspense proud to have as his own.


Rating: 9 / 10




No comments:

Post a Comment