Friday 21 December 2012

Hawkeye #6 Review


Matt Fraction and David Aja are back together for the first time in two issues. I enjoyed the guys art who stepped in for Aja, but good god I really did not know how much I missed him until I read this issue. This story focuses on 6 days in the life of Hawkeye leading up to Christmas. Once again Fraction uses a story telling tactic that is not linear in the slightest, and once again executes it to a very high level.

I have thought this about many Hawkeye issues, but it is even truer for this issue; you can read it over and over and not get bored of it. The way it is structured means you can read it again and most probably pick up on things that you missed during the first read through. The art by David Aja also helps with this as he fits so many panels into one page so you cant possibly see everything first time around; unless you spent half an hour reading it.
The dialogue is also perfect, as it has been for the whole series. The way people talk to each in real life situations just feels so natural. I know I have mentioned that in previous reviews but it is just so true. There is also humor throughout the whole issue; which can be seen on pretty much every page. However, it never feels out of place or forced, and I would go as far as saying that it helps with the flow of the book. One thing is for sure, it most definitely has helped this title become as successful as it has.
What was also very nice about this issue is that is was based around Christmas. It is the first Marvel book I have read this year that is focused around the event, and that is something that I like. It has a happy Christmassy kind of ending but not in a cheesy fashion; just executed very well. This is without a doubt Marvel's most consistent book, and I am sure Fraction will be keeping it up for a while. He has a winning formula with this title, so why change it?

This is a rare book that you just know with each issue you open a few different things will happen: a) you will be blown away by the dialogue, b) you will laugh at the jokes c) you will stare at panels due to how beautiful they are. I really am running out of things to say in each review I do on this series. Why would you not be reading this?


Rating: 9 / 10


No comments:

Post a Comment