Sunday 2 December 2012

Bedlam #2 Review



The first issue of this series was one of the best first issues I have ever read. It was so good in fact that I gave it my first ever 10 / 10 rating in this blog. I really did dig it. So the question is: can the second issue carry on from where the first left of?; I was certainly hoping so. When I finally received it in the mail this week I was beyond excited. So, what did I think of it? Lets see...

This issue starts with what seems like a chance meeting between two old friends. These two men are people we have not come across in this series so far, so I was initially very confused about the relevance of what exactly I was reading. The ending of their meeting was what confused me the most due to its shocking nature. However, later on in the issue everything tied together very nicely. These events have no doubt led to more questions being asked, yet it is a fun ride so them not being answered yet is not so bad.

In this issue we also got to see a lot more of the Dr that operated on Madder Red in order to create Fillmore. Fillmore told him about how he got in touch with a police detective about the recent murders that are happening around the city. The Dr did not seem impressed by this and seemed concerned about Fillmore's true identity coming out. However, there is definitely something off about this Dr, which I am sure we will find out more about. His motives are not too clear, and I do believe he has some kind of agenda that has not come out yet.
We were also introduced to a couple of police detectives. Their dialogue opened up questions about Fillmore, and how he may have a bigger hand in these murders that we have previously been led to believe. I also wonder if Madder Red is possibly still around?
The ending of this particular issue has also confused us readers about what is actually happening here. That is not a bad thing at all though. Obviously in some cases this can be a very bad way for books to conduct business, instead this has left me intrigued about the book; and more specifically the characters at the center of these unanswered questions.

The art, much like the first issue, suits this book perfectly. It is not the type of art that I usually like, however it feels very at home here. Combine this with the tale that Nick Spencer is weaving, and we have a very good comic book series here on our hands. This issue may not be as good as last months installment, however it is well worth a read as it pushes the story forward quite well. Maybe not as fast as some readers may have wanted it to, however I am fine being spoon fed information. Just sit back and enjoy it.

Rating: 8 / 10



No comments:

Post a Comment