Thursday 20 December 2012

Saga #8 Review


I think enough has been said about Saga over the last year; well enough so that everybody knows just how great it is. In fact, I don't think I have ever read or heard about anyone not liking this series. It has also recently won awards from certain websites for being series of the year, which I could not agree more on. So how good was the last issue of 2012? Extremely.

The issue started with us seeing how Alana and Marko first met which was very interesting to see. This is something that I am sure we will see more of, and it could even be a book in itself. Vaughan has got himself a great series here which is obviously based in the present, but he has done a great job to make readers interested in what happened in the past in this world. The relationship between the couple is heartwarming an feels so real; that is a main reason this series is so successful. So, he can write as many issues as he wants that focus on their past and I for one will not be complaining.

The past was not the only thing focused on in this particular issue. We also saw a lot more of the in laws, as they are split between the couple in different locations. The development of the relationship between Alana and Marko's dad was fantastically done. He seems like a very understanding man who will do anything for the ones he loves. Alana has taken to him, and he to her as he can see just how much his son means to her. I am very eager to read more about them as their dynamic is perfect. Vaughn has made readers care about a character who has appeared in a grand total of two issues. Yes, this series is magical.
The less interesting part of this issue was Marko and his mum dealing with a giant monster named Fard. His mum seems like a real judgmental bitch. However, I am learning to love to hate her after only two issues. I am starting to sound like a broken record, but the character development in this book is beyond anything I have read for along time.

Vaughn enjoys his final page spreads to end issues and chapter eight is no exception. The introduction of a new character in the final page actually left me with my mouth open. I then went on to shake my head with a wry smile thinking: "How the hell is this book so good".
Brian K. Vaughan accompanied by Fiona Staples on art delivered big time once again this month with a well written, beautifully drawn issue. This series does not seem to be losing momentum anytime soon. I wonder if it will be win awards for the best series of 2013? I would not bet against it.

Rating: 9.5 / 10


No comments:

Post a Comment