Sunday 23 December 2012

Captain America #2 Review


This feels like not Cap book that I have ever read before. So much so that if you took Cap out of it then you would just think it was a creator owned comic book or something along those lines. Thats is not a bad thing at all, as after Brubaker it was always going to be hard to follow on from his amazing run. So what is the best thing to do? Make a book that no one expected and make it more interesting than anyone thought possible. Congratulations Remender and Romita, this series has me firmly on board.

We start this issue one year in the future as Cap and the little boy he helped escape from Zora are still trapped in the wilderness of Dimension Z. Here follows villains that speak very strangely, and look like something from another dimension. Romita's artwork in this makes the world look horrendous. You really feel how huge the task is for Cap and Ian just from Romita's environment.
Speaking of Ian, he is a character who is getting pretty much no development. I am not sure if he even had any dialogue this issue. This could be due to the fact that Remender may be killing him off soon, I dont know. I am just going to go along with it for now though as this lack of development with Ian does not take anything away from the book at all.
One thing I did really like about this issue, and what seems to be an ongoing thing in this series, is the flashbacks to Cap's upbringing. I am very engaged in these, and find them very informative. They also link loosely with events that are happening in the present which is quite clever.

I would highly suggest picking this book up even if you are not a Cap fan. It is NOT a traditional Cap book, and I think many people will be surprised by just how good it actually is. Plus Cap has a beard and long hair, which in my books makes this series pretty awesome.


Rating: 8 / 10






No comments:

Post a Comment