Tuesday 4 December 2012

Thor God Of Thunder #2 Review


I did not review issue #1 a couple of weeks ago, but I can tell you that I absolutely loved it. In fact I think I would have given it a 10 / 10, which is funny as I was actually considering not picking up the book at all. Don't get me wrong, I like Thor a lot, but all modern day versions of him really really bore me and I had a feeling that this would be the same. However, it turned out to be the total opposite and was possibly my favorite Marvel Now #1 issue so far.

This issue picks up where it left off with #1, as we are being shown three different versions of Thor from three different times in his life. In all three versions he is battling or on the trail of some kind of butcher of Gods. The whole premise sounds as though it should be really confusing; which is another reason I considered not picking the title up. However, Jason Aaron has made it flow perfectly, and the way the three Thor's differ from each other due to their life experiences up to that point in time really is great to read.

Even though we once again see all three Thor's, this particular issue mainly focuses on the youngest of the three as he goes into battle with some Vikings. During the battle he discovers that the Gods their opponents worship have been killed by the butcher of Gods. There is then an epic battle between the butcher and Thor himself, which is visually very impressive indeed.
What I also really enjoyed about this battle was the internal dialogue going on in Thor as he reminisced over a God who went on a murdering spree. I am usually not a fan of these when they are placed in the middle of battles, but this one was perfectly placed and was actually very interesting.

The art in this title is also very epic. It fits the book perfectly, and all three Thor's look tremendous. I loved the very first page of the book that gives the reader an overview of what happened in the previous issue. Normally these pages are helpful, but not really very interesting. However in this book, there was a beautiful image of all three Thor's with accompanying captions of what is happening with all three of them.

This is a book which needs to be read. Jason Aaron has hit all sorts of form with everything he seems to be touching at the minute. Even if you have never been a  fan of this chracter I believe it is still worth a read. Aaron is creating something epic, and it feels great to be in for the ride with him from the very start.


Rating: 9 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment