Sunday 2 December 2012

Uncanny Avengers #2 Review



So if you read my review of issue #1 last month then you will know that I was not too impressed with how this series started. I believed it was a very mediocre start and I was close to dropping it due to a total lack of interest in what was happening. In fact, it was only really the very last page of issue #1 that made me want to pick up this issue. However, picking this issue up has turned out to be a very very good decision.

The issue starts with the clean up operation after Avalanche's rampage seen in the last issue. There was a really nice conversation in this between Cap and Wolverine, in which we learned more about why this new team looks how it does. It is all pretty obvious but it was nice for it to be said, as on first look this team really does look a bit random and odd.
Another part of this issue that I really enjoyed was the scene where we saw how some members of the population were being brainwashed into murdering mutants. It was nicely done, and shows the kind of reach that the Red Skull has. Talking of the main man himself, he was really brilliant in this issue. He was written just how he should have been. He seems very villainous indeed, which is exactly what superhero comic books need. Without a worthwhile villain books can really fall flat, but with the Red Skull, you know it is always going to be difficult.
It was also very nice to see his new abilities. In this issue he "convinced" a certain X-Man to join his team and help him exterminate mutants. This ended up being pretty short lived, however it shows once again just how dangerous he is going to be in this story arc.

This was a great issue but it was not without its faults. For example, I am not too sure what to make of the Red Skulls' henchmen. They do not seem very dangerous at all, and have not really had shown why exactly they should be feared. I am hoping in a future issue we learn a bit more about them, and we get to see what they can do. Right now though it looks like these henchmen are going to be the downfall of the Red Skull.

This was an issue that I went in to not too bothered about at all. I was planning on reading it and dropping the series. However, I have now had a massive turnaround of opinion. So much so that I am eagerly anticipating the next issue. I want to see more of the Red Skull for obvious reasons, however I am also wanting to see a lot more of Havoc as well. He was a character that I have not read much about before this series but I was impressed by him in issue #1, so I am hoping he features more in #3. This is turning into a nice little story arc.


Rating: 8.5 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment