Thursday 27 December 2012

Amazing Spider Man #700 Review *SPOILERS*



Wow. Just wow. This book is absolutely amazing. I have always had faith in Dan Slott, and I feel like as a Spidey fan, I am being rewarded. The ending of this book made me legitimately close to tears, which I dont think has happened to me before in regards to a comic book. That just goes to show how powerful a writer Dan is, and just how much he has put into this final issue.

I am attempting not to give too many spoilers, but some things I just have to mention. For one, I loved how throughout the whole issue we were teased that Peter Parker would do it. We were teased that he was going to find a way to get himself out of this horrendous situation he found himself in; but he never did.
 I went into the issue believing that Doc Ock would be Spider Man in Superior, and I think everyone else did too, but the way Dan made me doubt myself just shows how great of a writer he is. The back and forth between them, always outsmarting each other, was great to see. It was clear to see how much the characters were battling to win this final confrontation; almost like they knew the consequences were as huge to them as they were to the fans reading the book.

What I also got from this issue was how it felt like the final 20 minutes of a film. The tension and drama in the main story were like nothing I have ever read. Obviously I think this what helped due to us readers knowing what was at stake, but still.
The two backup stories were also very nicely done. They both had a feeling of nostalgia, as well as a massive theme of saying goodbye. They really helped this issue make "the end" feel legitimate. For lifelong Spidey fans this book will really pull on your heartstrings. 

Dan Slott should be very proud of what he and his team have created here. I follow him on twitter and it is clear that many people hate what he has done at the end of this issue. If I was him I would take that as a compliment as I do not believe there is a comic book in history that has implications as big as this. One day I expect Peter Parker to be brought back to life, mainly due to the Amazing Spider Man 2 film. However, right now I am very excited to jump on the Superior Spider Man and just see where things go from there. Remember, Slott is a lifelong Spidey fan, he will NOT mess this up.


Rating: 10 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment