Tuesday 11 December 2012

Amazing Spider-Man #699 Review


After the shocking events that concluded the last issue of this series, I was very very excited to get stuck into this one. As we all know, Peter Parker is now stuck  in the dieing body of Doctor Octopus, while Doc Ock is free to wander around in the body of Peter. How the hell is he going to get out of this one?

I will start of by saying that I really enjoyed this issue, pretty much just like I thought that I would. I really enjoyed the opening pages in which we saw Peter worrying about just what the great Dr could be getting up to while he has his body. It is what we would all do if we had somehow got into a similar situation. The feeling of helplessness was clear to see in these pages, and you really could not help but feel sorry for poor Peter.
Next up came the explanation of how this all actually happened. I actually really liked it, however it does have a major fault which many fans have picked up on. Peter has total access to Doc's thoughts, which means he can root through them and find a way to escape. This all seems very obvious, and I am not too sure how something like this could be so easily overlooked by Doc? I love Dan Slott, but really?
 I am sure there are more twists still to come though considering #700 is round the corner so I am not too worried about this detail. Just enjoy the ride!
The end of the issue say Peter Parker rescued by a group of super villains. The inner dialogue for this one was spot on for Peter, as he was not happy about what he was doing even though he was facing death. He still has strong morals even at a time like this; which is something I really liked.

The art by Ramos was really really great in this book. I have complained about his style in previous issues, but many of his panels in this book really helped to show the claustrophobic nature of Peter's predicament. The escape scene was also impressive to view, especially the way the villains entered the prison.

This book had a lot to live up to after the previous issue, and I am very happy with how it turned out. We have #699.1 followed by #700 to come, and I am very excited at just how this is all poised. There is no doubt in my mind that #700 will be huge, and I really cant wait to pick it up. If you are not a regular reader of this series then pick up this issue, along with #698, and get ready for the monumental last issue coming out in a couple of weeks. It is not one to be missed!

Rating: 8.5 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment