Sunday 23 December 2012

Wolverine and the X-Men #22 Review



This murder circus story line is clearly not Jason Aaron's best work. If this was the first arc you pick up on this title then you will not realize just how good and consistent this title has been since its inception. Saying that, I absolutely loved this issue from start to finish. In #21 I was not too sure about this whole arc and wanted to get it out of the way, but some of the character moments in this issue were fantastic. I am also pretty sure that this issue may possibly be the most beautiful out of the whole series.

The person who came out of this issue with some great development was Idie. I have never really read much about her before so it was s surprise for me to see just how bad ass she can be. She also had some awesome interactions with the member of the Hellfire club who Frankensteins' monster was originally after. Her trusting and helpful side really came out as she was not prepared to see a child get slaughtered, however she is totally oblivious to who he actually is.
Speaking of the Hellfire club member, whose name currently escapes me. He is a total ass, which makes sense considering what organisation he is a part of. However, Idie touches him in this issue and he is left in a tough situation come the end of the issue.

Not much else really happened in the issue apart from the X Men slowly starting to remember who they are, and some of the newer students getting beat up by their teachers. For most series this would be a really slow issue, that would read like it was phones in. However in this series it is yet another fantastic issue. The storyline is not exactly out of this world, but the writing and the characters involved definitely make up for that. Not to mention the pencils and colors. The best team in comics right now for sure.

It seems like this arc will be concluding next issue, which is fine with me. At one point I thought that I could not wait for this arc to end, now though after being 2/3 through, I can honestly say I am eagerly anticipating the next issue. This arc has been very enjoyable, and I can not wait for even more character development, which I am sure will follow as that has really been Aaron's thing with this book.


Rating: 9 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment