Thursday 20 December 2012

Avengers #2 Review



This series is going to be epic. You can tell that already after reading the first two issues. Jonathan Hickman is building something here that should not be missed. It feels very refreshing compared to other Avenger related titles of late, and is something that I want to read more of instantly after putting an issue down.

In this issue the story goes backwards and forwards between the Avengers held captive on Mars and Captain America and Iron Man building an extended team to rescue them and defeat the new villains. This could have easily been two issues which may have been an easier way for Hickman to tell this story. However, he has gone for the harder route, but he has definitely conquered it. The way this issue flowed was terrific, and it still has that epic movie feel which I liked so much about issue one.

I really enjoyed hearing more from the new villains who are holding Earths mightiest heroes on Mars. Their plan to change earth for what they see as the better, to me anyway, is a very unique idea which I enjoyed hearing the back story for.
Also, seeing the team come together was also nice. It is something that has been done before obviously, but I really enjoyed some of the character moments on show which were quite humorous; which is in contrast to what this book is.

The art was once again outstanding, and may even be better than what was on show in the first issue. It is art which I was not too familiar with going into this series, but I keep finding myself spending some time looking at certain panels and just thinking: "Wow".

All in all this is once again another great issue which is just a small part of this epic scale world that Hickman is creating. I find myself looking forward to the next issue; which I am sure will be great due to what I believe may be a big battle between the extended team and these bad guys. I am sure the art will also flourish if the next issue is built in that way. If you are an Avengers fan then you really need to check this book out. One of the books of the week for sure.


Rating: 8.5 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment