Tuesday 11 December 2012

Avengers #1 Review


The Avengers have been very much like the Hulk for me in recent time. I have been desperate to get into an ongoing Avenger series but none have ever really stood out or done enough to keep me interested. With Marvel NOW! I thought I may as well pick this up and give it a go. All I can say after reading this issue is: "congratulations Jonathan Hickman", this may be something special...

The tone is set for this book straight away in the opening few pages. While I was reading them I honestly thought that this could have been the beginning of the Avengers film sequel. Everything feels so epic and it really grabs you from the get go. I also loved the way the story was going backwards and forwards in time in a similar fashion to the way Hawkeye has been operating. It flowed really well, and added to the epic feeling that this issue gives as a whole.
The introduction of the new villains has made me very intrigued. We are all unfamiliar with them at the moment, which I think was a great call by Bendis. I was not expecting any new villains, but I am sure happy now that we have been given some. Their plan is also of epic proportion. What is also great about them is the fact that they have not just been thwarted by the Avengers after just one issue, You really get the feeling that these guys will be sticking around for a while.

I can also honestly say that I am not too familiar with any artwork previously done by Jerome Opena; even though the name sounds slightly familiar. However, I thought that in this issue his work was absolutely stunning, and it fits this title down to the ground. Some of the panels were really just breathtaking.

Overall, this was an absolutely fantastic setup issue for what I am sure is going to be a very exciting series to keep our eyes on. I am desperate to learn more about the bad guys along with their powers, as well as seeing how our heroes escape from the predicament they have found themselves in. It is clear that Hickman is creating something here on an epic level, and it is something that I am desperate for more of. I have finally found my Avengers book.


Rating: 9.5 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment