Saturday 16 March 2013

Age Of Ultron #2 Review


I was pleasantly surprised with the first issue of this, so I was eagerly anticipating the next instalment. I was not let down at all as right here we have another very solid issue that focuses mainly on character development; whilst also showing how bleak the future looks for our heroes.

The start of this issue is actually my favourite scene in the whole book. In it we see Black Widow sneaking through a demolished San Francisco looking for supplies. Whilst doing this she encounters a normal man who acts totally out of character. The writing and art immediately tell us that this guy would not even think of doing something like this before the world fell apart; which means that what happens to him really comes as a bit of a shock. It shows how people that at one point were Avengers are now no better than normal human beings. Everyone is doing their best to survive, and it has really become a dog eat dog America.

The second half of this book focuses on Peter Parker and the super heroes that saved him back in New York. Once again, the writing is absolutely fantastic here; giving us some real insight into how this has effected certain people. Peter, for one, is absolutely distraught. I love how we got a look back as to what he saw when Ultron first attacked. It showed how big the scale of the assault was, as well as just how powerless these guys were against him.
A very good point was brought up by an Avenger concerning Peter  possibly being sold to Ultron. This got a certain character thinking which ultimately led to their first line of the series. The plan that is going to be set is quite obvious, and it is pretty much confirmed by the sneak peak of the cover for #3, but is still a LONG way to go in this crossover so I am really excited to see just how this big plan to defeat Ultron will go wrong.

Once again I think this is another solid issue in a crossover event that I am now very excited for. Bendis is doing a great job here at slowly setting the scene, as well as introducing more characters. I read today that he has hinted that something big is happening half way through the series; which I can tell by the buildup already that whatever it is is going to feel massive. Even if you think this is an event that you don't fancy ( like I originally did ), I would still recommend picking up these first two issues and giving it a go. It has even made me tempted to pick up Fantastic Four #5 due to it being a tie in; and it is a book I don't normally get!


Rating: 8.3 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment