Monday 11 March 2013

Green Arrow #18 Review


As I mentioned in the review of #17; I only really got into this due to the fact that Lemire was jumping onto this book. I enjoyed #17 massively so was rather excited to read #18. I knew I would not be let down going into this after getting a taste of the new direction of this series from the last issue, and now I am just even more excited for #19 to come out. It looks like this is fast becoming one of DC's best series.

It becomes apparent very quickly in this issue just how much trouble Oliver is in. He is being framed with the murder of someone who worked for his company; so he is now on the run attempting to find the guy who put him in this situation. This is when we get introduced to Mr Lacroix who owns Stellmoor. I am unaware as to whether this character has appeared in this title before or not; but I can safely say that he had a big affect on me in this issue. He comes across as pretty creepy throughout, and his relationship with his daughter looks like it will be something to keep an eye on too. It is pretty creepy; which as we know is what Lemire does best.

What was great about this issue is the fact that gave us answers to many plot points that had formed from #17. This is a story line that is full of mystery; so giving us readers some answers in this issue was very wise. It could have been far too easy for this story line to become over complicated by a lack of answers. This is something I am sure Lemire knew, so even though there are some questions coming out of this issue; I feel sufficiently satisfied with what I learned from this issue at the same time.
We are left wondering if it was always Olivers' destiny to be stuck on the island for a year of his life. The revelation in this issue is huge, and although it feel very much like the TV show "Lost",I really cant wait to see how this is going to develop in the future.
A question that this issue leaves us asking is: "Who the hell is Magus?". He seems to have a massive hold on Lacroix, and he seems to have a pretty good understanding of who Emerson and Olivers' father were. He is ordering Oliver to go to a certain place, and judging by the fast forwards that have been presented to us, it looks like he finally does end up doing so. I wonder what this guy knows? I cant wait for it all to come out at some point.

This issue was great. I was excited to read it; while at the same time also hoping that Lemire could keep me interested as this is a series I really want to get into. Lemire certainly succeeded here, and I really think that this series has an amazing future ahead of it. The set up that Llemire is doing here is just amazing. He has shook things up a bit by the potential death of a pretty important character which I am sure some people will not be fond of; but on the other hand, he is building something here that I am sure new and old readers of the series alike will be very excited about.

Rating: 8.8 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment