Monday 4 March 2013

Punisher War Zone #5 Review


I was very pumped for the release of this issue due to it being Ruckas' last Punisher issue. I am very happy to say that I was not disappointed in the slightest. Although this mini series was nowhere near as good as the ongoing that Rucka was involved in, it still had the great feel that he brought to the character. I was hoping that he would finish it all off on a high note, and I am very happy that that is exactly what has happened here.

This issue focused on what this mini has been leading up to the whole time; the battle between Frank and the Avengers. I really enjoyed it, and I am happy with the outcome. All these superheroes against one man could only really end in one way, and I am glad it ended how it should have done. Frank put up one hell of a fight, and his reasons for standing up to fight them have to be admired. He may be a total badass, but he still has a heart and that is why we love him so much.
The panel in which he gave up in was also very impressive. The man had done what he was meant to do, and he had realised he could go no further; it was great.

The ending of this book was something that I kind of expected in relation to Cole-Alves, but it is still something that I was happy to see included. I am hoping very much that some time in the very near future, some writer will pick up the plot points from where Rucka has left them, as I would love to see more of Cole-Alves for sure. She is pretty much a female version of the Punisher now, but she has been so well written; I just think that I cant take this being the end of her story.

I have read two issues of the new Thunderbolts series and decided that it was not for me, so Frank Castle is not really in my life much now. The letters column in this issue gave the impression that Frank will be returning sometime soon, and I for one hope that this happens sooner rather than later. He has quite a bit of momentum behind him at the moment thanks to Rucka, and I just hope that Marvel have the sense to capitalise on that.
Some of you may be reading this review after missing Rucka's fantastic run; or you may have even just caught the end of it all. Well, I strongly recommend that if this is the case for some of you then you get buying the rest of the run. It will be money well spent I assure you. This is how Frank was meant to be written.

Rating: 9 / 10



No comments:

Post a Comment